The Day of July 22nd, 2011

11 am: – Anders Brevic is said to have parked his escape vehicle in Hammersborg Square in the middle of Oslo.

2:08 pm: AB sends out his ‘Manifesto’ to over a thousand email addresses. It declares, “So let us fight together with Israel, with our Zionist brothers …”

c. 2-3 pm:  Teenage Labour Youth activists on Utøya island have a banner saying, ‘Boycott Israel,’ and are chanting for ‘BDS’ (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) against Israel.

2:20:   AB sends e-mail to his friend Isaac Nygren in Israel.

2:59:   Police end their terror-drill rehearsal, involving ‘a mobile terrorist attack in which one or more perpetrators’ only goal is to shoot as many people as possible and then shoot the police when they arrive.’ Plus, there may have been more similarities – also the same officers were involved, who soon after came to the Oslo bomb site and the island massacre.[1] To quote a newspaper: “Aftenposten has confirmed from key sources in the management of the Oslo police that the exercise was terminated at 15 hours that same Friday.”

c. 3:15:  (Official reconstruction) AB parks the van that is to blow up, then walks away to cross the Akersalva river to his escape car.

3:19:  Mr Andreas Olsen, going home, sees a lone policeman, in uniform and equipped with a gun, helmet and visor, on a warm summer day, walking quite slowly. He noticed the police badge on his uniform. He was puzzled to see this ‘policeman’ get into a civilian silver-grey van at Hammersborg square (Olsen told Norwegian National News). It then drove out of the square in the ‘wrong’ direction, so he wrote down its number-plate.

3:25:19 pm, Oslo:   An explosion goes off near the offices of the Prime Minister & other governmental buildings. The signal is recorded at NORSAR seismic station in Løten, Hedmark, followed by a second, larger tremor 15 seconds later at 15:25:35.[2] (But NB witnesses only report hearing a single bang.)

3:28: Police patrol arrives at the scene, and soon after the scene is filled with emergency vehicles.

3:35: Police helicopter pilots (on holiday) start offering to return and get the chopper up in a short time, but are told to wait.

3:40:  Police helicopter pilots phone in to report for duty, but are turned away by police emergency management. (same as previous)

Andreas Olsen phones the police and gives them a description of the ‘policeman,’ his car and its license number-plate.

4:45: Anders Breivik is first seen. Wearing a police uniform, he arrives at a lake some 40 kilometres northwest of Oslo, to get on a ferry to the island of Utøya.[3] The car he drove in is left at Utvika, which is near Utøya.

4:50: (approx) As the young people on Utøya island gathered together to hear shocking news about the Oslo bomb, (a survivor recalled) they were  ‘very, very happy to hear that one policeman is on his way to supervise us and to help us.’

4:57: the ferryman is alerted that ‘a policeman’ wants to take the ferry over to  Utøya, a journey whichtakes 1-2 minutes. (4)

5:00: Breivik arrives at Utøya, where he asks the young people present to gather around him for information, then starts firing at them. He is using hollow-point bullets. (5)

5:02: Local police learn about the shooting from phone calls, and three minutes later the police in Oslo are informed.

5:15: At a camp site, Breivic and a colleague go systematically from tent to tent, shooting whoever he finds there. They normally finish off with a shot to the head.

5:27 p.m. : Norwegian police claim they received the first notification of the massacre on the island (source: Der Spiegel). Translation: they had been receiving phone calls from kids and frantic parents from 5.02 pm, but did not chose to act upon these until 5.27.

Showing huge detour police took, to get to Utoya island

5:38: Local police ask Oslo police for assistance. A group of them (‘DELTA’) is dispatched from Oslo to Utøya. They do not bring their rubber boat, that is kept in the police station.

5:42  Mother receives text message from her ‘Julie’: “Mummy, tell the police they must be quick. People are dying here!”

5:45: Survivors begin to reach the shore after swimming the roughly 600 meters (ca. 2,000 feet) from the island.

5:52: Local police car arrives at the shore of the lake (‘Tyrif’), but the officers have to wait for a suitable craft before they can cross over to Utøya (the red rubber boat has been left at local police station).

6:01: Breivik calls 112 (emergency telephone number) to surrender, hangs up, and continues to kill. The police later claim, this was how they knew his name.

6:09: The police group arrive at the lake, but have no boat. They ask a worker at the camping area whether she knows where Utøya is and she points to Utøya (It’s clearly visible in the  summer, only 650 m away). DELTA police then ask local police by phone whether there are any boats at Utvika (It’s teeming with boats, people are using them to rescue drowning, swimming and stunned AUF youth from Utøya). DELTA does not ask the woman or any other people at Utvika for boats.

c.6:15 Local police tell DELTA to drive 3,5 km to Storøya where they will be able to find an inflatable red rubber boat.

c.6:19: The boat that is finally provided is too small for the amount of personnel and equipment, and nearly sinks during the crossing. The team transfer over into two privately owned open console boats. (See video here of police messing around in the boat)

6:25: The police group arrive on Utøya and go ashore. A TV news helicopter filmed them, i.e. it arrived before any police helicopters did.

6:26: Breivik calls 112 again to surrender and hangs up.

6:30: A phone call to the island, by ‘Marianne’: “Can you talk now?”  J: “No. He is still shooting!”

6:34: Breivik still with some unused bullets does not resist arrest, as he is called by name by the police.

6:45: Supporters of the ‘Global Jihad terror group’ claim responsibility for the attack. The group claims Norway has been targeted because of its “occupation of Afghanistan and the abuse of our Prophet Muhammad”.

6:55:  First army helicopter gets up into the air: from Rygge military airport, a Bell 412 helicoterthree hours after the terror-attack.

7:00:   The anti-terror helicopter group are called up and asked to go on duty. Police have three or four helicopters in the air after Breivic is arrested.

7.16  An army helicopter finally arrives at Utoya island – a sea-King helicopter, from Ørland airport, north of Trondheim.

7.16: – Police helicopter crew members receive phone calls asking them to go to work (same as above).

7:38: pm: It is reported that seven are dead from the Oslo bomb.

9:08: – police helicopter is in the air.

9:16: Police helicpoter arrives at Utøya island, many hours after the massacre and subsequent arrest

There was no closure of Norwegian airports until the evening.

Police ‘have found unexploded explosives on the island, and they are almost certain there is a link to the Oslo bombing two hours earlier’ . (similar to the 7/7 narrative…)

The haunting questions

 “We still do not know what really happened, only that there is less and less reason to rely on what the police management have said. How was it possible for a security chief not to look at unknown erroneously-parked cars as potential terrorist threats? How was it possible for police to refuse to call up their own helicopter pilots who join the service and only do so 3.5 hours later? How was it possible not to call in the Reserve Force, not facilitate a formal request for helicopter assistance from the Armed Forces? Why weren’t the roads out of Oslo blocked and air traffic stopped? Why will they not elaborate on what military helicopter mission was going on after the mass murderer was arrested? And how was it possible for the emergency squad to not know where Utøya was, or not to see with their own eyes that Utvika was teeming with boats waiting to be used?

“Had the terrorists taken control of the mainland, just as AUF [Norway youth league] management feared? Was that why all standard operating procedures were set aside and all our national emergency response unit had trained for for years was not put into practice when Norway was hit by terrorist attacks?”  – by Torstein Viddal.



[1] According to newspaper Aftenposten, 26th August.

[2] But, most sources report only one explosion, so I may be wrong here. The Telegraph reported it as 3.36 pm, BBC as 3.26 pm, Sky News as 3.30 pm. We have to believe the seismic record!

[3] Rumours that CCTV in Oslo shows him, have not been confirmed.

4. This Aftenposten article – sourced from the Norwegian 22/7 timeline at WikiPedia – claims Behring was at Utvika on the mainland right across from Utøya at 16.40.

5.  Alternative time (which may be doubtful): ‘The sailor estimated that the boat with around five to six passengers, landed about quarter past five, and that Behring Breivik started shooting after about five minutes after he had gone ashore.’

Acknowledgement: this Timeline came about with guidance from Mr Torstein Viddal

See also discussion, here